shabbyblog background

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain


For those of you who know me well- you know that I'm not much of a leisure reader.  Its not to say I don't enjoy books- cause I do- but I just don't have (or make) time to drop everything and read ("DEAR" - we called it in 1st grade).  But all that changed- sorta- when I signed up for Audiobooks - off some special that came to my email- and ever since I have been hooked.  I just download the book- to my iTunes account- and pop it onto my phone.  Then whenever I am doing mindless things- like walking somewhere- or doing laundry- vacuuming, or whatever- I just put my book on.  It actually makes these things enjoyable!

Today I finished the book- The Art of Racing in the Rain- by Garth Stein.  My Dad gave me a hard copy while I was home over the summer- after he had read it- and really enjoyed it.  I remember back when mom was sick- she had read it too- and recommended it- laughing about how the dog reminded her of Mylo.


I really enjoyed this book not only because it takes place in Seattle- and it was fun hearing all the familiar names of the parks, streets, mountains, lakes, cafes, coffee shops, schools.. even Mercer  Island- but what I really liked about this book was the the fact that the story is told through the eyes of the dog- a yellow lab- Enzo-  that reminded me, too- of Mylo.  I laughed out loud, I almost cried, and I constantly caught myself thinking in the mind of a dog.  Enzo narrates his life and love for his family - Denny, Eve and their daughter Zoe.  Denny is an undiscovered race car driver who faces his own race against ultimate despair and defeat after his wife- Eve is diagnosed and dies of brain cancer.  With a heart-wrenching twisted turn of events- Denny is accused of a crime he didn't commit and finds himself battling for custody of Zoe.  Enzo- a TV addict, race car driver and human at heart- narrates the story with humor and wit.  Anyone with a dog- or love for dogs will appreciate this book.





1 comment:

  1. a few of my coworkers have told me about this book. i'll add it to my list - sounds right up my alley. i've been so bad about reading lately and miss it. throwing it on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.